bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are the reasons behind Writer's block? I read the question Help! I've got Writer's Block which explains solutions to the problem. I was wondering why someone gets writer's block? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

For causes of writer's block, I point you to "The Writer's Brain: What Neurology Tells Us About Teaching Creative Writing" as one potential explanation, which focuses primarily on stress, feeling under pressure, or feeling threatened, which causes the brain to "shift control from the cerebral cortex to the limbic system":

When the limbic system is in the ascendant, behavior is instinctual, based on the fight-or-flight response, or the result of deeply engrained training. Without significant input from the cerebral cortex, the individual is temporarily deprived of the ability to perform nuanced analysis and creative thought. Moreover, the individual is rarely aware of this shift and often attributes the resulting inability to perform her or his usual creative thinking as a lack of willpower, character or ability.

If this is true, one should probably focus on the causes of stress that could trigger this type of reaction. For example, lack of inspiration, getting distracted, or procrastination can all contribute to a stead build up of worry and stress resulting in writer's block. Fear of failure can be equally paralysing. There may also be an issue with worrying too much about "the rules" of writing, rather than just learning by writing.

There's also the problem of self doubt: writing is an inherently lonely, solitary activity, and it's not difficult to fall into the never-ending cycle of self-criticism and loathing of what you create, believing it to not be good enough.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best