bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid repetitive sentence structure? I've realized that I always start sentences with (name of character), he, she, it, they, her, his, the, after (a moment/that), and then. I wonder - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Particularly in action scenes, it can be tough to weed out which sentences need to start with the MC's name or pronoun. If the sentence has a modifying phrase, it may be worthwhile to place the phrase in the front of the sentence. I also avoid starting sentences with verbs. This is a technique that can introduce a dynamic feel, but when used too often or incorrectly, logic can suffer.
Introspection is needed, but I would try to separate it a little more from the action. Start the paragraph with the action, then use the inner dialogue.

Where was everyone? A safe place? Maybe everyone knew about this and she was the one that didn't.
She stared at her hands and her mind began to wander. If there were certain things in this world that had actually belonged to her, she certainly would have known about them. Although material possessions seemed a rare luxury, everything she clung to seemed to turn to dust. Boys had possessed her, but they had never been hers. Her friends, on the other hand, simply accompanied on her journey.
Adele sat down and looked at the moon. Here she was abandoned in the world, as if waiting for the moon to fall from the sky.

I think this revision Adds some strength and urgency to your message.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best