bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Skipping details in a scene I often struggle with details in a scene, and thought maybe I could just skip some of them while trying to keep the scene seamless, but I'm not sure how. This - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Relevant thought on the subject

"The reader wants to work. ...the reader wants to fill in the details. He wants to be invested in the novel and to make his own decisions and reach his own conclusions . You don’t need to write everything. You can leave pieces (of plot, description, dialogue) out. The reader will get in the game. His imagination matters as much as yours." (source)

So my general advice is:

If it isn't intrinsic to the story, cut it ruthlessly.

If the blue lights on the panel don't figure into the narrative later, or aren't an insight into the mood or future of the characters featured, they don't need to be mentioned.

If you are trying to write more detail, don't do it just for the sake of filler. Figure out a way to make it relevant, or to understand the story better in your head so that you can write it in a relevant way. In the article Support and Elaboration the point is made that you aren't adding words for length - you're adding words for understanding and immersion.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best