bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: World Building vs Story Writing Note, this might be off-topic and belong on World Building SE? I have always been far more interested in building the world my stories take place in than the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You seem to be interested in creating a "parallel universe" for your story. That is, a world slightly different from the "real one."

In your shoes, I wouldn't sweat the "worldbuilding" part. You want to tell just enough about the alternate world to make your story work, but you don't need to discuss your world in excruciating detail (unless your "world" is, in essence, your story). People will assume that except for relevant details, the parallel world is much like the actual one.

Perhaps the most successful example of building an alternate world was "The Wizward of Oz" (U.S.). Dorothy found herself in a "world" similar to her own with slightly different parameters, but in a recognizably worldlike environment. Finally, the secret of the golden slippers allowed her to return to the "real" world.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best