bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is a novel with 50K words more likely to sell than one with 40K? I'm asking this because I wrote a novel with 40K words, but somehow I feel it would sell more, or at least be more like - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm asking this because I wrote a novel with 40K words, but somehow I feel it would sell more, or at least be more like a "novel" if I add stuff until it's 50K (I checked on Amazon and most best-sellers are 60K+). Now, the stuff I'm adding isn't entirely unnecessary: they fix some plot holes and add some background to the characters. Still, the novel reads just fine with the 40K.

Is my novel more likely to sell/become popular if it has 50K words? Or it won't make any difference?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Since @what 's answer and your comment clarified that it is neither MG nor YA, 40k is way closer to a novella than a novel.

A manuscript standard length is about 100k; the general range is 80k-120k.

Yes some best-sellers may be short, but the author name can help sell a thin book.

Now, it does depend on genre too, in some genres 60K may be the norm, while in others 150k-200k may be more common.

Personally if I am hesitating to buy a few similar books, I’ll decide based on width to get the most “bangs for my bucks”.

So yes, size matters :)

NB:
Some great novels are created when 2 smilingly different ideas are merged. So maybe you could develop another concept to novella length and intertwine it with this one.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I can't see that padding it out will make it sell better. It would put me off.

A novel doesn't have to be long to sell well. Look at 'Of Mice and Men', 'A Christmas Carol', 'Animal Farm', etc.

Load Full (0)