bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Controversial rape subject in mainstream novel? I hope this Q will not mimic the fate of the racism Q which was buried in negative votes and caused quite a stir. this Q is somewhat linked - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I hope this Q will not mimic the fate of the racism Q which was buried in negative votes and caused quite a stir. this Q is somewhat linked to Is BDSM becoming mainstream? (though i am not equating at all BDSM and rape)

Two of my favorite anti-heroes are Stephen R. Donaldson’s Thomas Covenant and Angus Thermopiles, both of which are repentant rapists. I find that the inner turmoil of these characters makes great tension throughout the novels and generates unforgetable characters.

I am also found interesting books on rape victims testimonials and found great heroines like rape survivor Charlaine Harris‘s Lily Bard (Shakespeare) Series.

Anyways, I was thinking of developing a story based on a rapist POV and his victim’s. Their arcs at first diametrically opposed would slowly rejoin, and possibly merge into a relationship.

I understand that the nature of this Q may be distasteful to some and even suggesting a potential relationship between victim and perpetrator is anathema to some, please bear with me, i am just exploring a potential story idea.

I was wondering if such a novel could have a mainstream readership?

(I mean apart from wanabe rapists and distraught rape victims)

Thanks for your input and please try to be polite.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is a touchy subject so I will approach it from two points of view.

If you happen to be a woman's rights' activist and/or felon-rehabilitation activist, and this is the topic you wish to use to make your point, then by all means go for it, and write the best piece you can to promote your "activism."

If (as I suspect), you are approaching it from a writer's point of view, I would recommend against it. This is one of the harder topics around for a sophisticated, seasoned writer. If you "have many ideas and need to prioritize," I would prioritize this out, and choose a simpler, more manageable topic, rather than risking what might be "one shot" effort on this one.

If and when you become a world class author, then you might revisit this one.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

To gain mainstream readership you need something that people can connect to, that they can understand the emotional journey that you are taking them on.

I can certainly see the appeal of writing a book based on the rapists' point of view. It would perhaps be interesting to see how he got to the point of becoming a rapist. Taking a generic character through a series of steps that edges ever closer to needing that.

As for eventually forming a relationship, I think my approach would be of two damaged people coming together through a shared crisis. Maybe as him becoming a little obsessed, and her using it as a means to take control.

I think it is certainly an interesting premise, that has a lot of interesting angles...

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There's definitely an interesting story in a rapist's repentance. Two things I would caution you against, though, are making it seem as though the victim "ought" to forgive the rapist to the point of starting a relationship (you're going to have trouble explaining why she would want to do something like this, besides Stockholm Syndrome), and making it seem like the rapist's inner turmoil is the most important part, i.e. like his sad feelings about being a rapist warrant more sympathy than her sad feelings about him raping her.

Load Full (0)