bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to handle dialogue? I have difficulties to write more than simple dialogue that still works and is readable. So, I have two options here: Try harder, read more books with lots of dialogue - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I struggled with writing dialogue for a long time, it bothered me that I could never make it sound like real conversation. As I've previously written I don't like to solve problems by seeing how other's have resolved them i.e. by reading how other's approach dialogue

My resolution was to realise that you don't need to make it sound like real conversation, you are using characters speech to convey story concepts. With that thought speech becomes a literary device that you employ in the appropriate situations to move your story along.

I started off with a desription of what I wanted them to say 'Julie talked to Mark about the train times' and put together a small exchange to convey that information.

Although there are also a number of novels that have relied on reported speech, so if that works for you, and the end product feels more comfortable, then perhaps that is better for you.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best