bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to get feedback about the quality of one's fictional writing from friends unbiased by the friendship? It is a little strange to ask, but are there ways to get feedback from friends about - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't have that side of the story experience, but I know talking with some creative friends that it is good to have different type of friends available. As pointed out by Steven Drennon, your friends will have different reactions, and I think you can see three categories

"It's great, I wish I could do that." This is not a feedback at all.
"I like it, waiting to see the next one." This is the supportive type.
"Well, not too bad, but somehow you should consider change this or that because of that reason." This is the critique part.

Most of your close friends will fall on the second category. The less close friends will have more of the first category. Some (close or not so close, but confident enough to mark criticism) will fall in the third category.

Now, Steven Drennon, essentially suggest to only keep the latter ones. This is probably the most constructive category, and they help you grow. However, you might at time feel yourself down-hearted. The first ones will boost your ego, and make you feel like you have talent. The second will reassure you that you are supported by good friends. Why they don't necessarily help on your techniques, they are great psychological support.

You should then dose the friends you ask for feedback, depending on your needs, but a bit for the three is probably a good idea.

Again, this is what I learned from friends who, sometimes asked me for feedback (and in their case I was in the third category).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best