bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Effective differentiation of dream sequence from "normal text" There are lots of questions about how to write about dream, how will it be in a book etc. I have a bit different question. Imagine - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

There are lots of questions about how to write about dream, how will it be in a book etc.

I have a bit different question. Imagine this situation:

I was walking down the street to the entrance of the ZOO. Hand in hand
with my grandma and baloon on a rope in a second hand. Lightly jumping
in between single steps because how i was excited. Road was nearer
than normal, but I get over this little detail. I will be in a ZOO for
the first time.

I blinked once and twice. Weird. No road. No ZOO entrance. No grandma.
In a next second I realized, she is long time dead and I must go to
work. Those dreams makes me sad. I really wanted to go to ZOO.

The question is, how to differentiate the dream part from the normal text part in sequences like this. Will you go Italic text or you just let it be? Is it necessary to differentiate dreams from normal text?

Thanks for your advice.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It's quite common to see dreams or memories placed in italics. I personally find this a beneficial technique since it effectively conveys a sense of altered consciousness. However, it depends, as always, on the effect you want to create --whether you want to emphasize or de-emphasize a discontinuity with the waking state.
Some writers also place the dream or memory in the present tense, which is a bit counterintuitive, but also conveys an altered state of consciousness:

I am walking down the street to the entrance of the ZOO. Hand in hand with my grandma and a balloon on a rope in a second hand. Lightly jumping in between single steps because of how excited I am. Road is nearer than normal, but I get over this little detail. I will be in a ZOO for the first time.
I blinked once and twice. Weird. No road. No ZOO entrance. No grandma. In a next second I realized, she is long time dead and I must go to work. Those dreams makes me sad. I really wanted to go to ZOO.

Load Full (0)