bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Creating An Original World I've been thinking of a few ideas for characters and concepts, and I am aiming to create a massive world: a world with its own deep history and rich lore. However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

For me, writing boils down to resonating with myself and my audience which means both good news and bad news for anyone looking to avoid cliches:

Bad news: Cliches are the typical way to resonate with your audience

What makes cliches so common is that they work well and things that work well tend to be foundational. Stray too far from the accepted foundation and you tend to get either "new and brilliant" or "weird and ugh!".

Good news: The audience is constantly reevaluating what is ugh

Whoever said it's all been done was mistaken. Our culture is constantly churning over how we feel about stuff and unacceptable and acceptable start getting swapped around over time. The result is there is always something new. For example, sparkly, romantic vampires probably wouldn't have worked in the 50's, but it did in our era. What may not work today may very well work tomorrow.

Personally, though, I think a cliche is like a cookie. I'd much rather have an expertly baked cookie made with the boring ol' classic ingredients than taste test a bunch of cookies made with new and fancy ingredients, so don't worry too much about having some cliches around -- just make sure to make them solid. But try something new and if you can feel the audience isn't going to resonate, then fall back to the tried and true.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best