bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Finding before/after examples where writing has been improved, to learn from I'd like to see a series of example paragraphs, showing before/after a rewrite, to give me specific examples of how - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is a hard question to answer. I know in my stories many times the only before drafts that were left in existence were the printed out reviewed ones, that were soon trashed. any kind of files kept on the computers were over written with each additional rewrite, so I don't expect there will be many such documents floating out there.

Probably the best source of this kind of exampes would be books describing and expanding on what was trying to be done in that excerpt. the 2 best I have read are:

Description by Monica Wood --- this book it about trying to craft a stories through teaching you how describe. many times in this book will start out with bad examples then take you through the step to apply a descriptive style to create a new example.

Make a Scene by Jordan E. Rosenfeld --- this book teaches you to craft a scene to fit the over all story feel as well as make this scene's objectives.

The only last place I can think that will help is by finding sites that have writing by others, many times an out side observer will be able to find problems in others writing the writer will never see. This can also include participating in peer review groups. A couple of good sites I know of:

writing.com --- site for writers to gather and talk about writing.

deviantart --- site for any artist to post there work and get reviews of it.

Though there are not many, and they are hard to find. There are sites for writing out there, just take some time and Imagination to find them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gloria285

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best