bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Describing The Sky In A Screenplay This might seem worthy of scorn for some of the seasoned screenwriters around here. Google wasn't helping me a lot with this question, so I thought of putting - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't know much about screenwriting, but I do know about stage plays. In many cases, the stage directions fill in the writer's vision and set up the atmosphere. For example, from "A Streetcar Named Desire": [The sky is] "...a peculiarly tender blue, almost a turquoise, which invests the scene with a kind of lyricism and gracefully attenuates the atmosphere of decay. […] In this part of New Orleans, you are practically always just around the corner […] from a tinny piano being played with the infatuated fluency of brown fingers. […] New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city where there is a relatively warm and easy intermingling of races." (Act I, scene i)

I have the feeling that a screenwriter is not at the same level as a playwright, and where a stage director might feel compelled to hold to the flavor of the stage directions, perhaps a film director feels no such compulsion? I'd put them in anyway, where necessary, where they add to the vision and impact of the scene.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Steve161

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best