bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: academic writing: direct quote I have a simple question regarding scientific quotes. Which of the following alternatives is correct? Alt. 1: The literature has made substantial strides towards - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Doreen, in response to your comment that you simply want to emphasize the year in your prose because it's important to whatever point you're making, then this is a matter of style.

Using your example sentence, you can strengthen the saliency of the year the conclusion was made by giving it it's own sentence if you're going to follow with other years in which strides were made (2011, 2012, etc)

The literature has made substantial strides towards identifying causal effects of X on Y. In 2010, J. Miller concluded...

Or if not you can replace the 'and' with a semicolon, making the year/quote less of an afterthought:

The literature has made substantial strides towards identifying causal effects of X on Y; in 2010, J. Miller concluded...

You can make the date 'more salient (to what I do not know as we have only this sentence to work with) with

As early as 2010 | Most notably in 2010 | etc

If that helps achieve your goals.

I'm not sure what's gained by putting the year in parenthesis when it's not parenthetical and not a citation.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best