bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to write a book in 2 weeks? I got challenged to write a book of 100 pages in two weeks. I see this challenge as a game that can be played in many different ways. What are the most - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

I got challenged to write a book of 100 pages in two weeks. I see this challenge as a game that can be played in many different ways. What are the most effective strategies for writing a lot in a short period of time?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As has been mentioned earlier, the method for NaNoWriMo is very effective. It's how I got through my first manuscript in 2 and a half months. I suggest a few things to help with this:

Start with an outline/basic idea of what you want. This will help prevent writers block and major rewrites later on.
Don't stop to consider word choice, sentence structure, etc. Just write and keep writing until you've blasted through your word count for the day. You can always edit later.
If you are goal-driven, like I am, give yourself daily/weekly goals to achieve. This will help keep you motivated and focused on the goal.
When you're not writing, keep something with you to take notes on. You may get inspiration randomly sitting in a meeting at work or at the doctor's office. If I'm going somewhere where it's acceptable, I usually carry my bluetooth keyboard and my phone, so I can write straight into the document when I'm away from my computer.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

As "what" mentioned above, NaNoWriMo is definitely a great resource to use to motivate you to produce a lot of writing in a limited amount of time. For your current project, these are my suggestions:

Pace yourself. Plan out how much you plan to write each day to meet your goal of 100 pages in 2 weeks. (That's approximately 7 pages a day, but you'll probably want some time to revise, so go for 8-10 pages a day.)
Jot down your ideas when you're not writing. If sudden inspiration strikes and you can't write at the moment, record them so you don't forget later.
Don't worry too much about logistics at first. First "dump" and just write all your ideas. Keep going and don't dwell too much on the perfect word or way to phrase something. You can polish all of that during the editing period. Stopping too often to change details will make you lose your train of thought.
Beat writer's block. It's bound to happen. Find out what works for you (e.g. reading, taking a quick jog, etc. Every writer has their own preferences.)

Good luck! I hope you find this project enjoyable and very rewarding.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I would poke around Wikipedia and just find some obscure yet interesting event that happened 50 to 500 years ago. Flesh out the story with your own made up stuff. Boom, there you go! Also, do an outline, it will help in fleshing out details.

Clyde Cussler does this a lot and he is a very successful writer.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

First of all I'd ask myself what kind of book it's supposed to be, and what kind of audience I'd make it for. Then I'd ask myself what this audience expects me to produce (if writing a romance novel for instance there'd be a huge emphasis on describing the bodies; creating actual notes of word-banks that might be used might help).

Then I'd find a theme I'd write about and make a flowchart what are themes close to it - anything that comes to mind. If the goal is 50k words I'd plan roughly 1k-5k words per theme, and I'd also make a pretty precise plan about the expected wordcount per chapter/theme.

On day two I'd start writing and adapt the plan according to the output I produce.

Load Full (0)