bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How far into a story can I go until not physically describing main characters becomes really weird? I'm writing a Third-Person POV Fantasy, and I want to publish online, but I can't give a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It seems to me that Kit Z. Fox's answer, which you quoted in the question itself, is a good answer.

That is, you can avoid ever describing your characters. Whether it seems weird depends on the expectations of your readers, the genre you're writing in, and your own style and narrative voices.

In your case, it seems like you are writing (conventional?) fantasy, and are simply having trouble wondering how you can start out with events without description of the players. I'd tend to suggest that you just need enough references to common genres so that the readers can fill in with conventional expectations, and only include the needed details. Names and terms for things can be used which will conjure familiar images and settings as long as nothing contradicts expectations.

If the first line is "Rutherford's machete hacked through the last of the fronds to reveal his companions surrounded by dancing pygmy headhunters..." I'm imagining Rutherford's a 19th-Century British explorer in Africa.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best