bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Very long sentences: personal style or just bad writing? I'm writing a story targeted towards children in which the protagonist is a young girl. I find that in writing her dialog and the narrative, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

By default, my writing style idiosyncratically entails long sentences. It feels natural to write as I think and speak. It's more a matter of rhythm for me than anything else. Though I can't substantiate this, I sense that it allows me to permeate the reader's or listener's subconscious mind more effectively.

Incidentally, I was once asked by a member of another Stack Exchange community to reduce my sentence length. I obliged despite not being in concurrence with his request (refer to the edit version history and comments of the question):
english.stackexchange.com/q/266769/96647
As illustrated at the preceding link, some reader's may find such sentences to be mentally exasperating though I don't believe that that you should construe this as a sufficient justification for curtailing or adapting one's writing style.

My only advice, based on subjective experience, is to be mindful of the dangling modifiers that contrived sentences are prone to paving to the way to.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best