bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is there a name for the **writing** tic/technique in which the **writer** inserts an aside beginning with "well"? Is there a name for this writing tic/technique (which I find very annoying, by - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Is there a name for this writing tic/technique (which I find very annoying, by the way):

Please note: these examples are in the form of dialogue which belies the context in which my question was meant to be placed. I've therefore added additional examples at the bottom of this post that are actual writing samples (slightly modified to protect the author's identity) that contain this tic/technique.

“I ate an omelette that was, well, made of eggs.”

“The sun rose and, well, I woke up.”

“These sentences are, well, quite frankly annoying.”

Thank you

edit: as it says in the question, I'm asking about writing, not speaking. Not sure why multiple people are confusing that point.

edit 2:

Examples of what I mean, not in dialogue form:

e.g.
Rather than fire back sarcastically at what I find to be unsuccessfully pedantic comments, I choose to, well, accept the input and try to clarify my question.

e.g.
I was writing an article yesterday that was, well, about something I wished to discuss!

e.g.
This essay which I am writing is, well, a statement of my personal opinions.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Technically, I'd say it's an interjection. In this case, a verbalized pause while the speaker collects their thoughts.

Generally, I'd say avoid it unless you're developing a hesitant or insecure character.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The technical term is 'filler'. A filler is used to give the speaker time to think. Other fillers include 'er', 'um', 'okay', 'ah' and 'like'.

Load Full (0)