bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I establish ownership over my work? I have an irrational fear of my work being stolen. I understand that this is, realistically, extremely unlikely to happen. There are just too - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Copyrighting is a fairly simple process, if your work is finished. Note the whole "mailing it to yourself" thing doesn't actually work.

It's important to note that copyright attaches as soon as something is written, published or not, including the copyright notice or not. If you can prove the age of your files (in google docs, or a file backup system, etc) - you can prove when you wrote it.

It sounds as if you're concerned someone will steal your work and sell it as their own. This is highly unlikely. They may steal your plot lines or characters, but actually trying to pass someone else's work off as their own? Not really.

To seek feedback in a place that's a bit more secure, you could try CritiqueCircle.com, which requires a login. You'll also get much better editing results.

Your bigger concern should be whether putting your book online will make it "previously published". That would be bad. The first chapter is fine, or the whole book if it's hidden behind a signup gate or something to that effect.

Another thing to worry about is the ISBN. You're going to need to pony up serious cash to Bowker for real ISBN's. Otherwise Bookbaby or Amazon will be the "publisher" - which means they control the book even if they don't own it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamm6328258

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best