logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Redouble, double, or double again? I have seen double and double again a lot. Redouble, not so much. I found out that redouble can mean to double again, to double, or in general to intensify

Nimeshi163 @Nimeshi163

Posted in: #Editing #Vocabulary

I have seen double and double again a lot. Redouble, not so much.

I found out that redouble can mean to double again, to double, or in general to intensify whether that is double, triple, quintuple, or something else.

So if I want to use double again I pretty much know when to use it. However I wouldn't know when to use redouble or if I should use it at all.

If I use redouble where I would usually use double then the reader would think that it has doubled twice.

If I use redouble where I would usually use triple or quintuple or something besides double then again the reader will think that it has doubled again when it might have tripled.

If I use redouble where I would usually use double again the reader wouldn't have the intensify vs double again confusion but still the reader might think "It is irrelavant to use redouble when you could just use double again."

So should I use redouble in any scenario when writing or editing or should I just use double, double again, triple etc. which I would usually use?

I am trying to expand my vocabulary while editing so that is why I am asking if I should ever use redouble?

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Odierno164

Odierno164 @Odierno164

In this context, redoubling your effort means trying harder, but not by any set amount. Maybe 150% of the original effort. At least that's the understood meaning in modern English.

If you're speaking the language the word comes from (French), "redoubler" is to double again, or 400% of original. The same is true if you're playing a bidding game (like contract bridge).

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Sherry594

Sherry594 @Sherry594

Instead of trying to use a derivative of double, you can use the suffix -fold.
three·fold

three times as great or as numerous.
"a threefold increase in the number of stolen cars"

There is no real maximum number that can be used for this. You can use ten-fold, one hundred-fold, etc.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Debbie451

Debbie451 @Debbie451

"Redouble" is almost always used in the idiom to redouble one's effort, meaning to increase the effort one is exerting.

"Double again" has the very specific meaning of This was increased by 100% of the original, to make 200%, and will now be increased by 100% of that, making it 400% of the original.

Which one you want to use is dependent on context and your intended meaning.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme