bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it foolish to pursue a writing career while desiring complete anonymity? I am writing my first novel. When I finish, I'd like to try publishing it. I've read other questions regarding the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The modern reality of writing is that putting words on paper is only a small part of the job. To be successful, a story-product needs a marketing strategy. Great writers get turned away every day by the big publishing houses, not because of faults in their stories, but because the authors don't include a preexisting fan-base, a legion of twitter-followers and a low-budget, high-promotion marketing plan with the submission letter. The big publishers don't have to build their authors' communities anymore. There is such a glut of supply, that they can pick and choose from authors who have already created their own following.

Self publishing is even worse, since getting people to read and review your creations is like pulling teeth. The only hope many starting authors have is to leverage their family and friendships as the seeds for their reviews and online marketing.

If you choose to stay anonymous, you are cutting yourself off from every resource you have, except for your writing skill. Unless you have an absolutely incredible story subject, whose title will instantly self-market itself to thousands of initial readers, you should seriously reconsider this choice.

Most of use dwell in obscurity no matter how loudly we try to shout our names. Keeping your name silent seems counterproductive if you want to get your words into other peoples hands.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best