bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Citation behind a display equation I occasionally have a case where I want to give a formula and also attribute it. This ends up like that: I do not really like that, though. The citation - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I occasionally have a case where I want to give a formula and also attribute it. This ends up like that:

I do not really like that, though. The citation looks very odd at this spot. If the next paragraph would continue right after the citation mark, it would be worse, I fear.

One solution would be to just attach the citation mark at the end of the sentence, perhaps even after a colon behind “by”. This does not really make sense from a reading-flow perspective.
One could also try to mangle in another sentence, attribute that and give the equation afterwards. That would look nicer but not be correct.
Alternatively, we can use the textcite command from biblatex which will produce

Schatz, Weidinger, Deicher [SWD10]

instead and can by used in the text like

the factor is given by Schatz, Weidinger, Deicher [SWD10] as EQUATION.

Or one could append that like this:

the factor is given by EQUATION as given by Schatz, Weidinger, Deicher [SWD10].

What would be a good solution that is both scientifically correct and also the least ugly?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Odierno164

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Your second option is one I have seen frequently. As an example of its use, have a look at page 19 of arxiv.org/abs/1501.07274, just above their equation (2.3), where they use that format of citation for a formula. (Never forget, though, that citation style is usually dictated by the journal you are submitting to. Be certain to check their editorial and style guidelines for the context-dependent answer to your question.)

Load Full (0)