bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What is considered an acceptable length for a technical document? I have written dozens of technical and requirement specifications, and edited dozens more in 8+ years of engineering. The largest - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Acceptable to whom? As with "quality", we are talking about a characteristic that is defined by the context. Whatever the customer, user or other stakeholder accepts is "acceptable.

On the other hand, from a professional perspective there's a lot of experience you can draw on to suggest what users may find acceptable - without any guarantee that the customer agrees!

Finally, technical writing should aim to be comprehensive - the "length" or "size" (how do you measure these exactly?) of a document can be correlated against the basic criterion "did I describe the whole topic?" - i.e. all the features; enough details for the user to understand the concept; links to all relevant references.

So - "how heavy is your topic"? It's an interplay of internal and external factors, case-by-case. Hence the profession exists.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best