logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Voices of young children, how to write? I am currently writing a narrative featuring many young children. Some of the children are under the age of five, and I'm wondering what the best way

Turnbaugh521 @Turnbaugh521

Posted in: #ChildCharacters #Language #Narrative #Style #Technique

I am currently writing a narrative featuring many young children. Some of the children are under the age of five, and I'm wondering what the best way to write dialogue for their age group would be. I know that when they're young, they have trouble pronouncing certain consonants and consonant blends, like "l", "r", "v" and "th." When writing dialogue, would we express their mispronunciations and treat it like a dialect?
Example:

"Homewess?" Three-year-old Billy asks. "What does dat mean?"
"It means we haveta wiv in a box," four-year-old Flora answers.
"Wiv in a box?" Billy cries with wide eyes. "I wike wiving here!"

or

"Homeless?" Three-year-old Billy asks. "What does that mean?"
"It means we have to live in a box," four-year-old Flora answers.
"Live in a box?" Billy cries with wide eyes. "I like living here!"

Is it best to leave it to the reader's imagination, or to actually transcribe what their saying?

10.07% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (5) Report

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Sherry594

Sherry594 @Sherry594

Don't do it.

It will annoy/irritate/confuse people who have never been around children or don't like children. People who have been around small children already know what they sound like. As long as you have firmly established that they are very young children (and given your dialogue attribution, this is questionable) then do as Stephen King says and start the detail on the page, but let it finish in the reader's mind. That's always been sage advice.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Hamaas631

Hamaas631 @Hamaas631

As someone with a speech impediment myself (far more pronounced as a child) I cringe reading this type of dialog. If it's important to the story, perhaps you could describe the type of impediment (like mixing up w/l sounds in this case) or have another character comment on it (for example if the child is being mocked, the other character might use "wiv" in dialog to emphasize the error). There are also other types of ways in which children speak differently than adults that are less uncomfortable and still 'cute' if that is what you are going for, like mixing up similar sounding words, common (realistic) incorrect grammar mistakes, if it is a very small child using made up words/nicknames for people, and so forth.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Nimeshi163

Nimeshi163 @Nimeshi163

Just write the children's dialog normally. Intentionally misspelling chunks of text makes reading difficult and slow. (And if reading a story is too hard, I'm putting the book down.) If it's important for a character to have a speech problem, just tell us what it is. We're pretty good at interpreting the words on the page into the character's voice.

See this question.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Twilah982

Twilah982 @Twilah982

i find this type of writing very quickly irritating. If you ask the reader do do an extra effort understanding what you write, you break the narrative flow. Use phonetic writing mininimaly, and only if you have to.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Ogunnowo420

Ogunnowo420 @Ogunnowo420

Like Lauren Ipsum said, don't overdo it. I personally prefer a slight dialect over the example you gave, which would become cumbersome if used in more than a few paragraphs.
Also, don't make their grammar perfect. I don't mean that you should use garbled grammar, but rather some slight errors, and omissions.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme