bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Paragraph Indenting Rules I have a question about dialogue indents. I'm proofreading a piece for my proofreading course and I've come across something that's stumped me. The first 6 lines of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I have a question about dialogue indents. I'm proofreading a piece for my proofreading course and I've come across something that's stumped me.

The first 6 lines of the story are dialogue and they are all unindented. The prose doesn't start until line 7 and that's unindented too.

Now, do I indent them all or just the first line? And what about the prose on line 7? Do I indent that too or leave it unindented?

I'm using Oxford's Hart's Rules for guidance but it doesn't say much about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

According to Hart's Rules, Section 3.2 Paragraphs has the relevant info:

New paragraphs following headings should be ranged full left. New paragraphs not
following a heading should be indented one tab.

Leave the first line of the story alone, but the dialogue and the paragraphs following should each have a single tab indentation for the first line. The following lines should be ranged full left (to use Hart's nomenclature).

Load Full (0)