bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it smart to reserve one's best ideas or to utilise them early in their writing career? At the very commencement of my writing "career" (I have virtually zero experience), I have an idea - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In any creative discipline you should absolutely work to the best of your ability at every stage of your career as your previous works are both your way to show the world what you are capable of and a platform for you to build on.

Similarly 'ideas' are often a bit overrated, creativity is not so much about having brilliant flashes of inspiration so much as the, skill, knowledge and experience to properly articulate, evaluate and refine them. Ideas are cheap, it's the ability to turn them into a finished work which is important.

Also an idea isn't destroyed once you have used it, many writers and artists have repeatedly returned to the same themes throughout their careers and why would you even bother going through all the effort of writing and refining something that you think is based on a second or third rate concept when you know you have something that you think is more interesting ?

In any case my experience is that really good ideas come from actually going through the process and discovering the fine detail of the possibilities, challenges and limitations of a particular process so the way to get new ideas is to thoroughly test your current ones. It is entirely possible that you may discover that what you thought was a brilliant idea was not really what you wanted to say at all but you only find that out by testing it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best