bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I start writing even if I'm not sure how the story will end? I'm writing (planning to write) a fantasy novel. I'm done with the worldbuilding, rules of magic, main characters (even though - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some people talk about Plotters vs. Pantsters.

A Plotter works out the whole book, chapter by chapter, point by point, then writes to the outline. It takes a long time up front, but then writing can progress quite quickly.

A Pantster, on the other hand, writes by the seat of his or her pants, sitting down, clearing his mind, and then writing what comes. JRR Tolkein could be described a pantster I believe. For a pantster, the first draft is often quite scrappy and inconsistent.

In my WIP, one of my characters has Alzheimer's in about half the chapters and a daughter in the other half. My hero's hair changes colour. I have a half dozen chapters that need refactoring to make them consistent. The first draft functions like an outline.

There's an intermediate stage called a Planster: a person who has a general idea of the main plot points, but who discovers the details on the way.

There are many different ways to produce a book, and you'll discover your own style as you go. Don't be told that there is only one way, there are lots as you'll discover.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best