bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible to outline a dual plot novel using the "Snowflake Method" or other method? I am interested in learning the Snowflake Method to outline a novel. Question is: I'd like to write - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have never heard the term "dual novel" before (do you mean a novel with a dual timeline?)

I'm currently using the Snowflake method to outline several books in a series, so perhaps I can be of help!

I'm making one "snowflake" per book, but when characters are reappearing, I can reuse steps that deal with their backstory, psychology and the like.

The key here is; one snowflake per book. Because you want the three acts, the plot points and all the other things that make the story into a whole.

In your case, you have to keep track of two stories (or timelines), but they have to be confined in one book (and one snowflake).

In the Snowflake method, you would use characters to create sub plots. In fact, some of the character development steps of the method is meant to examine the story from a specific character's point of view. You will have a slightly different story for each character - or perhaps in your case, a very different story?

In my case I selected one character to be main protagonist, and her story is very similar to the story of each book as a whole (e.g. she and each book share the same storylines).

Then I added detail by having the other characters see things slightly, or wildly different. In one book, one character is in a prison camp, while the protagonist is planning to free her.

The Snowflake method has the potential to have a sub plot for each character, although that would be a bit much. In most cases you use the slightly different perspectives to make sure all characters are three dimensional.

In my estimation, you shouldn't have any problems creating a story with dual timelines using the Snowflake method.

The method is not designed specifically for dual timelines, but dual timelines are just one way of telling a story, regardless of what type of method you use.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best