bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Making a disinterested character speak In the novel I am working on, there are few major characters who are in position of power, and are not interested in speaking to the protagonist at all. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

In the novel I am working on, there are few major characters who are in position of power, and are not interested in speaking to the protagonist at all. What are some techniques using which we can make it happen.

A little bit about the setting: A single human protagonist goes to a different planet, the scientists and one or two politicians are interested in communicating with him briefly - but there ends the matter; no one is further interested in deeply engaging in a conversation with the protagonist.

However, the central piece of my work are going to be conversations. Can you please give me some references to characters, or techniques or examples used in the past for a set up where a disinterested person is forced to talk.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

While through your description i assume your story is a serious one, i think your best point of reference would come from comedy.

It is a common trope in comedy, specially british comedy, to have characters who don't like anyone else, or that aren't particularly interested in anyone else. Like for example Jim, from Yahtzee Croshaw comedy novel "Mogworld".
"Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" wouldn't be a bad choice either, but i'm gonna use Mogworld as my example, just because i remember it more.

He doesn't like any of his companions, or, at the very least, is absolutely indiferent to them, giving him an air of arrogant superiority, even though it is not intentional, he just doesn't care, really.

Now, as to why they would talk to your protagonist, i can't really say, as it's too much of a broad question. Just make it seem like they have to, not that they want to. Make this politician guy be stuck with him in a room in some way or another. Make the protagonist pester him nonstop, or make the protagonist lie to make the politician believe that he is important.

TL;DR

Read comedy to study characters who just don't care, and make it seem like the politician has no other choice but to talk to the protagonist.

Load Full (0)