logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Citing a Poem in APA I'm having trouble finding any reputable source online that indicates how to cite a poem in APA, and I don't have access to a physical copy of the APA manual right now.

Shelley992 @Shelley992

Posted in: #Apa #Citations #Poetry

I'm having trouble finding any reputable source online that indicates how to cite a poem in APA, and I don't have access to a physical copy of the APA manual right now. Does anyone know how to cite a poem in APA style?

Specifically, I'd like to cite Robert Burns's "To a Mouse" (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/43816). This poem was included in the Kilmarnock volume. I'm having trouble putting together this information in an APA citation.

Thanks for the help.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Ravi5107385

Ravi5107385 @Ravi5107385

You can use this tool to refer in APA style (and in any other style): citethisforme.com

Burns, R. & Bohne, P. (1974). To a mouse, a louse and a mountain daisy. Rosemead, Calif.: Bookhaven Press.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Ravi5107385

Ravi5107385 @Ravi5107385

Probably too late for the OP, but in case someone else is curious...

I couldn't find anything specifically about poems, but I think following the style used for a chapter or entry in a book should be fine. That is:

Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (1995). Title of chapter or entry. In A. Editor, B. Editor, & C. Editor (Eds.), Title of book (pp. xxx–xxx). Location: Publisher.

In the case of Robert Burns' "To a Mouse", the Kilmarnock volume's title page gives Robert Burns as the author (and no editor), therefore we can cite the poem as:

Burns, R. (1786). To a Mouse. In R. Burns, Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect (p. 138-140). Kilmarnock: John Wilson.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme