bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Programs that analyze word frequency? I would like a utility that could analyze a document and give me stats like this: WORD: FREQUENCY: a 47,268 the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I would like a utility that could analyze a document and give me stats like this:

WORD: FREQUENCY:
a 47,268
the 37,201
gross 215
irregardlessly 1

Does anyone know if this is available?

BTW, I'd rather not use an online tool. Call me paranoid, but uploading my unpublished novel to the internet, to me, would be akin to walking down main street with nothing but a condom on. :)

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Odierno164

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Most Tex and LaTeX editors how text analysis that give you a number of uses of each word in a block, in a table, and so on.
For example TEXstudio is a popular one.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Notetab Light (and the paid version, too) for Windows offered this feature the last time I used it. It's an older text editor with loads features that I used before converting to Linux, which happened in 2007 or so.

I use an editor I made myself, now, with that feature and lots of others I like.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you have access to Linux or Cygwin on Windows, you can get it to tell you just about anything you want to know about your text with a few lines of shell code. Here's one approach.

Here's another article which explains the process in more detail.

In this case, you would probably first have to copy your text from its native format and then paste it without formatting into a text file so the internal formatting codes, etc. don't interfere with the logic.

The advantage of an approach like this is that, with a little effort, you can get your tool to report anything you want in exactly the format you want it in.

Microsoft is also talking about adding such shell capabilities into an upcoming release of Windows 10.

If you're on a Mac, you probably already have all of the necessary tools installed.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

My beloved Scrivener does the job beautifully. Paste your text in and then go under Project —> Text Statistics and it gives you the list you're looking for.

Other people on this board have recommended Word Counter (Mac) and both Primitive Word Counter and yWriter (Windows), but I cannot speak to their utility as I've never used them.

Load Full (0)