bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How long should it take for a writer to publish his/her book? (The whole process) I'm a beginner so naturally I'm a little bit curious towards the whole procedure on writing. Outline, plotting, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Concept/research + Chapter 1 = 2 months

I always send my Chapter 1s through various beta readers to give some time to simmer and plot. These numbers I'm giving are gross generalizations, by the way, and have varied on projects and through experience.

Bulk of the story = 4 months per 70,000 words
Beta reading and rewriting = 2 months

You should have a workable manuscript in under a year.

Query phase 1 (finding an agent) = 1 month.

This is the rate-limiting step for traditional publishing. Most books go to die here--or you can self publish. But for kicks let's keep going.

Revisions at the behest of the agent = 2 months
Query phase 2 (finding a publisher) = 1 month
Revisions at the behest of the publisher = 3 months
Professional reviews and marketing = 6 months. These are the reviews going on the cover and retailer websites.
Final revisions after legal has a look and the publisher sets a printing date = 3 months

2 years is typical of the process. Most of the second year, and even much of the first year, the novelist is free to work at a different phase of Book B and Book C. I recommend looking at Jane Friedman's blog/website on publishing.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best