bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Looking for help on deciding a name for a character I can't decide what to name a certain character. It could either be Hamu or Humu. The other names of the characters would be Japanese, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I can't decide what to name a certain character. It could either be Hamu or Humu.
The other names of the characters would be Japanese, and the story is a fantasy setting with Japanese aspects thrown in.

His name is supposed to be, and mean “Hum”. I'm worried that my English audience would find this confusing.

However Humu or Fumu (H and F are similiar) are Japanese onomatopoeia for the “hmmm” sound.

I kind of like Humu, precisely for this reason, because he's supposed to be named after his father who carries the name “Taisho” meaning "to hum or sing softly".

Please, I'm not looking for advise on Japanese, just honest opinions about the character's name.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

That is a very subjective Q. I don't know Japanese but to me Fumu "sounds" the most Japanese and reminds me of the Fugu fish.

To me Hamu sounds like "ham", or "Hamburger" as in a Hamuger, Hammurabi, or Hammer.
Also, it is a name used in several countries, has meaning in Arabic, and Hungarian, not forgetting the text “hmu”, or hit me up.. Famu would be even worse.

To me Humu sounds like hum, him, hummer, humbug, humus, human, humongous, humor.
You find Humu in Swedish and Swahili. It is also a name found in 4 countries. A humu humu is also a Hawaiian triggerfish and a Skating longboard. Plus it is a Maori hip bone and is apparently English slang for beautiful

Though to be fair Fumu is also an acronym for fuck up move up or “foul up…”
It is also Chinese for elders , has meaning in Corsican, and Esperanto, and is a Swahili name

In spite of that I like Fumu the best for a Japanese character, though Umu without the H, which is an alternative spelling
of Humu could also do.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I'm not quite clear what you're asking. Is your question whether "Hamu" or "Humu" is the better name for a character for an English-speaking audience?

If that's it, I can assure you that it makes zero difference to someone whose only language is English. Neither name carries any meaning or significance. They're both just sounds.

Load Full (0)