bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Are there custom placeholders in Ulysses app? Does the ulysses app have anything that is useful for creating placeholder text? For instance, if I didn't have a character name, or a place name - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Does the ulysses app have anything that is useful for creating placeholder text?

For instance, if I didn't have a character name, or a place name I could do:

{protagonist_first_name}

or

{placename_1}

And then just do a search and replace.

I just wondered if there was anything built in that made this process simpler. (Keyboard shortcuts etc.)

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Ulysses does not support placeholders directly and there are no simple shortcuts that would create a placeholder.

You would have to use your own implementation. For things to keep track of when using such a custom method have a look at my answer to the question What should I do when I am stuck on names during freewriting? Depending on your language and your writing style you might get problems if you have for example nicknames or longer versions of a name and forget to change them. Or you could have problems with grammar rules.

Here you can see a list of features that Ulysses supports. The ones that might be useful for you would probably be to annotate your text with keywords and the classical Search&Replace.

Here is a list of available shortcuts.

To read more about keywords take a look at this article. Basically this feature allows you to add meta data to your work so that you could annotate the text with a special keyword indicating for example "Prog_First_Name_Missing". As keywords are reusable this should be quite easy and fast to do once you've got the hang of it. To add a keyword you can press "⇑ ⌘ K".

For Search&Replace you can press "⌥⌘F".

Load Full (0)