bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Writing a short story of less than 1000 words I' am used to write short stories, to quickly set a plot and develop the story, but this time I have to do it in less than 1000 words, which - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I' am used to write short stories, to quickly set a plot and develop the story, but this time I have to do it in less than 1000 words, which is (IMO) really short !

So my question is, what approach should I take in my writing ? do I have to set a plot here, with a final twist (but is it even possible in so few words) or does it have to be a slice of life kind of story ?

If there's any advices or examples you know It would be helpful for me.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you're writing a story, regardless of length, then it has to have a plot and a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Character development and descriptions are less important here but should be enough to set the scene and give your reader a mental image of what they're "seeing"

In my opinion, 1000 words isn't that small a word count. I myself have seen stories starting from just 2 sentences (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2+sentence+horror+stories&oq=2+sentence+horror+stories).

I myself write a lot of 300 word flash fiction for www.writing.com which is always a challenge and really teaches you to chop and edit everything unnecessary to get a very tight but coherent story.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In general, the best way to learn how to write something is to read a lot of it. Look for flash fiction. Look also for microfiction, short short stories, etc.

I write 100-word stories. They're fun. Typically I focus on a particular moment in time and do a lot of exposition about its causes and its effects. Then comes revision, where I trim it down, deleting adjectives, choosing verbs and nouns more precisely. I rarely waste words on dialog or descriptions unless they contribute directly to the moment.

Load Full (0)