bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : One thing I tend to do in my writing is consider the options. Flashbacks (/flashforwards) are a good way to show how someone learns it if the Main Character is already an expert when - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One thing I tend to do in my writing is consider the options.

Flashbacks (/flashforwards) are a good way to show how someone learns it if the Main Character is already an expert when your story starts. In gaming one would call this in Medias Res (in the middle of things), where you flash forward to a scene where mechanics can be explained in context or just before the ever popular 'anmesia' sets in.
If your MC is a student, why not portray a class where the teacher is explaining it, but your MC is daydreaming, more focused on the class clown getting in trouble, staring at their crush (or pointedly not staring at them). This gives you the chance to both give the boring information to the reader, and offers a great chance for characterization in one fell swoop.
What if your MC is the teacher? Have them droning to a class, protégé, small group of students, or what have you. Why not intersperse the droning with mental rants? Same as the last point, but different point of view.

The trick isn't to see what options are available (though it's important to know). The trick is to see what fits your character, scene, and narrative best.

Hope this helps ^_^

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gonzalez219

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best