bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should I punctuate my poems Most poetry I have seen, especially free-form, is written in broken lines. These lines them run into other lines and so not have any punctuation. Some have explained - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Most poetry I have seen, especially free-form, is written in broken lines. These lines them run into other lines and so not have any punctuation.

Some have explained this using enjambment. Where I have seen enjambment being useful are in lines which have to keep a rhyme scheme but are too long; for example

Never did I ever
Think or even wonder
That this country
Which I live in
Would make me begin to (tah)

p.s: there could be a comma between "think" and "or", or even at the end of the lines.

Other people explain the lack of punctuation to be style. Some claim the introduction of punctuation would constrict the readers to one particular voice.

This is not just seen in free-form or open-form poems. But poems to form also sometimes lack punctuation.

Should I be punctuating my poems or no?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Fox6458700

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

There are cases where punctuation can be important in clarifying meaning, such as in cases of subject-verb agreement. In such cases, where the meaning could be muddled by lack of punctuation (bearing in mind that line breaks function as punctuation but not in the same way), then it should be used.

Line breaks/ enjambments function to give a "pause" or break between items, such as in a series, replacing commas. But they cannot serve the way commas do in clarifying subject/verb agreement. And within a line, of course, it is recommended to use commas for that purpose as well. Example:

My parents needed no reprieve

from mighty Titian’s lustborne dancing

women nude as cows romancing

well-dressed men. But let me leave!

Are the women or the cows romancing well-dressed men? So you need to set off "nude as cows" in commas.

In general, it is up to the poet, but a poet should be well-versed in grammatical rules to begin with, even if the poem is one long sentence, and apply those rules when necessary. Some poets, such as W S Merwin, hardly ever use punctuation, but he skillfully crafts his poetry to allow for that.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Enjambment versus end-stopped lines can also be useful to speed up or slow down a poem. Punctuation can be used to give the reader an indication of when to stop for a breath or at the end of a thought. You may find that a particular poem needs punctuation and another doesn't. If you're not sure, read your poem out loud. It will help you get a feel for what is needed.

Load Full (0)