bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Need resources to assist with describing ordinary things When writing I've found that I have trouble describing ordinary things. For instance if I want to describe a chair I'll spend lots of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

When writing I've found that I have trouble describing ordinary things. For instance if I want to describe a chair I'll spend lots of time hunting down resources like this, using google searches like 'chair anatomy'. This usually turns up very few results, or results with unusable poor image quality. Sometimes I find nothing at all.

Can anyone recommend a resource for helping with this. Specifically a search engine for labeled schematics or drawings, like in the link?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Fox6458700

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think @what 's answer is great. I would add that you may be looking to add a greater level of detail than is needed, in some cases. For example, if my character walks into a room and I want to describe the chair she sits in, I may say something like "The leather chair was worn down and comfortable, the imprints of many previous butts making the cushion soft." I might just say "She sat on the old leather chair." I'm not likely to need to have the correct name for the back or arm or leg or the nails that hold it all together, unless the character is then going to pick up a chair and brain someone with it (and I don't want someone picking up a chair twice their weight unless that has meaning) or take it apart to use the nail to pick a lock. If I do, then I'll research what the parts of the chair are called. It's important to strike a balance in the level of detail, as well as many other aspects of description.

Load Full (0)