bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : No takers? (stretches) All right, then, lemme take a swing. I suspect that my answer might be disliked, being chiefly my personal hugely biased opinion, but, in all fairness, my opinion is - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

No takers? (stretches) All right, then, lemme take a swing.

I suspect that my answer might be disliked, being chiefly my personal hugely biased opinion, but, in all fairness, my opinion is based on my experience in both my real and imaginary lives and should be worth something, even though I do not have my own Wikipedia page to cite.

First and foremost: I try to avoid labeling things. I know that labeling things is a classic American approach to pretty much everything, and that bothers me greatly.

Without sinking into an essay on that particular subject I would say that dividing writers into Outliners and Pantsers is a vast generalization. Even Republicans and Democrats have different shades of blue and red among them, although they elected to label themselves.

Both Outlining and Discovery Writing are merely methods one can employ in a unique personal blend to achieve the one and only goal--to finish the damn thing you are working on! This forum if full of complaints of self-labeled Outliners who cannot bring themselves to start writing, because their outline is not perfect enough; just as they are filled with the confessions of Pantsers who do not know how their stories end--all because a methodology flaw.

One cannot be sure if one's outline works for the story, unless one tries to discover words to flesh it out, and one cannot just plow forward without at least a vague idea of where the story is going no matter what they say (please, do not bring Stephen King into this).

I do adhere mainly to discovery writing, yet I do have an outline (about five or six bullet points, this is why I am at 460K+ words at the time of this rant, being 3/4 through the first draft :-(--I should be writing, damn it), and I do know how my story ends.
I get bored at work easily, and I love daily routine--it calms me down and brings some structure into my life. I had moved from place to place about 18 times during my lifetime, and I am married to the same partner for 35 years. I love animals, but I am neither a Dog or a Cat Person--I have had and do have both.

The point to which I am trudging is that the correlation between one's writing method and real-life choices might not be that immanent.
They are very different things.

What is important (at least I think it is) is that labeling things is rarely precise and almost never unequivocal.

Sorry for the lack of graphs and statistics (and the length of this post).

Cheers!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best