bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Numbering of Figures in a Calculus textbook My question is regarding he numbering of Figures across an entire textbook. If a textbook contains chapters and each chapter contains sections, should - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

My question is regarding he numbering of Figures across an entire textbook. If a textbook contains chapters and each chapter contains sections, should I reset the counts in each section? Or should I reset the count at each chapter? Or should I just use one continuous count over the entire textbook? I believe I've seen all three in different textbooks. Is there a preferred method for authoring?

I can see how listing all of the Figures in an index would look nicer if I used a continuous count over the entire chapter or an entire textbook. In the former case, Figure 2.37 would represent the 37th figure in chapter 2. In the latter case, Figure 247 would represent the 247th figure in textbook.

However, it would be easier to reference the Figure if I also narrowed it down the particular section. Then the student would know where the Figure is located. That is Figure 4.5.4 to represent the 4th figure in Chapter 4 Section 5. It's numbering is going to look ugly but the flip side is that the figures are easily referenced to a section.

Any suggestions?

This question could also be applied to the numbering of Tables, Theorems, Lemmas, and Definitions.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

An advantage of numbering by chapter is that when deleting/adding/moving figures, renumbering (if not automatic) is required only for the rest of the chapter, not book.

Load Full (0)