bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: writing with color, skin tone I'm trying to describe a character in a story and I'm having issues describing her appearance. She is a black woman with specific (vitiligo like) markings and I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've upvoted Lythric's answer. I think both points could stand elaborating, and it turned out too long for comments, so:

Check if a word is used in science/medicine, if so, try not to use it in fiction. But, of course that is only if the word is really complex and no one will understand it (like vitiligo which even the computer underlines)

I disagree — it's good to use the appropriate technical language, if your narrator would know and use it.

You need to be clever and contextualise the language so we understand what it means, but when you do it right, it builds your credibility as an author and the plausibility of the story. Plus, learning new stuff is cool.

Your narrator might or might not be someone who uses the technical term. But use what they would use. And understand that lots of people do — women with endometriosis, for example, don't call it 'mysterious stomach pain', they mostly call it 'endometriosis' or 'endo'.

Say woman of colour not black woman

This is good advice because woman of colour is the wording that's modern and respectful. Use it if (a) your narrator is both of those things; or (b) you are making a conscious decision to make his/her language both of those things.

What I'm saying is be conscious of the decisions you're making about language.

What I'm categorically not saying is you must embrace offensive or upsetting language in the bloody-minded pursuit of historical accuracy. Historical accuracy is only one of the things you need to balance in your writing, and perfect historical accuracy is impossible anyway.

There are many good reasons you would choose option B above. For example, you might want your story to make people happy, or find a wide audience, and have guessed that many people of colour don't want to read a story containing yet another reminder of how recently people like them could be lynched. It's okay — it might even be a good thing — for you to write in a way that respects that. Just be mindful that you're doing it and understand why.

Long story short: When you choose language, think about its impact on character.

Once you've done that, it's perfectly appropriate to balance with other considerations, too.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best