bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : In multiple narratives, does time have to be in sync? This goes for any amount of narratives, dual, triple, quadruple, whatever. I'm writing a story with three points of views going on simultaneously - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

This goes for any amount of narratives, dual, triple, quadruple, whatever.

I'm writing a story with three points of views going on simultaneously right now, about at the same time. However, is it okay to have one of the characters a day ahead of the others, or one a day behind? If I end one chapter with the character's day ending, and I go back to resume from a cliffhanger on a different character where it is still daytime, and by the time I finish that I switch to the other POV where its already tomorrow, is that okay?

In a dual narrative, does time have to be absolutely in sync? Can characters be days ahead of each other?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sims2267584

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As long as you clearly mark what the date is so that the reader knows your scenes are not in sync, you're okay in terms of clarity. But you should have a good narrative reason for doing so, and not just "the cliffhanger was exciting."

From a reading perspective, I prefer that the scenes not be out of sync by more than a day or so. If you have characters who absolutely don't interact, it's easier to manage.

(This also assumes that you're not telling a story which involves time-travel of any kind, in which case go nuts with asynchronicity.)

Load Full (0)