bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Are there any theaters that are receptive to manuscripts for monologues from the author/performer? First, a caveat: I am only the author of the "play" in question in a sense of the word; since - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

First, a caveat: I am only the author of the "play" in question in a sense of the word; since much of the monologue is drawn verbatim from the writings and speeches of Mark Twain, I am really just the co-author.

That having been said, the script is to a great extent "mine" - the order and connections from one anecdote to the next are unique to me.

Anyway, what I want to know is whether there are theaters that seek, or are at least receptive to, producing a play to be performed by the author (that is to say me, as my "collaborator" is unavailable)?

Something like this, perhaps, but I am no longer a Wisconsin resident, so that won't work for me (I'm in Monterey, California).

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I suggest you talk to someone who does historical monologues professionally. I've found that there is no substitute when entering into an endeavor for speaking with someone who has done it before.

I can recommend "Barefoot" Bill Pacer as someone who has done things very similar to what you propose.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Generally a writer or actor or writer/actor is not going to enter a relationship directly with a theater. You really need to fill two other important jobs, at a bare minimum:

Director
Producer

You might be able to get away with being your own director, but the big danger is that you'll have no other voice looking at your writing and acting and helping you hone it and make it as good as it can be.

The fact that you have this question about getting into theaters means you do not have the knowledge to be a producer. You want to find a producer for your play and they will know how to get it onto a stage.

Load Full (0)