bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Dialogue and action question I am currently working on a novel. currently two girls are the only active characters. I am curious if I need to separate the dialogue and action when one character - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am currently working on a novel. currently two girls are the only active characters. I am curious if I need to separate the dialogue and action when one character is acting and another is acting but not speaking. For example:

Evie tousled her sister’s hair as she said, “You’re a mess. Did you remember to put on some shorts with that dress?” Maddy pulled up her dress and showed that she did. “Good. Grab your bike, let’s go.”

I don't feel this is confusing and I feel that it adds unnecessary spacing. if I am missing some rule or stylization please let me know. Thanks.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Yes, it is completely fine to have the responses of different characters in a single paragraph, after one characters dialogue. I use this method of formatting all the time. Heres an extract from To Kill a Mocking Bird that demonstrates it in published work:

Calpurnia picked up Aunty's heavy suitcase and opened the door. 'I'll take it,' said Jem, and took it. I heard the suitcase hit the bedroom floor with a thump. The sound had a dull permanence about it. ~The start of Chapter XIII

I hope this helped.

Load Full (0)