bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I write a story within a story? How can a protagonist, being a writer himself, share a full short story he has written with the readers within a short story? What are the techniques - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Is your idea like Russian nested "Matrushka" dolls, a story within a story within a story? If so, it seems to me that the recent movie "In the Heart of the Sea", a story about James Fennimore Cooper, the Nantucket whaler "Essex", its captain and crew, the great white whale, and the Essex's survivors, is put together like those Matrushka dolls, and seems to me to provide a good example of what you seem to me to be proposing. Consider you, the screenwriter of the film as the outer protagonist relating the story of his protagonist James Fennimore Cooper relating the story of how he came to write 'Moby Dick', his story being from an outer protagonist relating the core story related by another, a third and final, inner protagonist. It is the third protagonist's story that contains the core/complete story that the screenwriter (you, if you will) has put together and has slowly revealed in the movie. However, you can also put yourself in the place of the screenwriter's James Fennimore Cooper, and relate (in Cooper's words, so to speak) the story told to him by the sole surviving member of the Essex's ill-fated crew.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best