bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Do you need to end a story with the same perspective you start with? This may seem like an odd question, and perhaps I am over analyzing this a bit too much, as I usually do when it comes - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

This may seem like an odd question, and perhaps I am over analyzing this a bit too much, as I usually do when it comes to my writing, but here is my concern.

The novel I'm writing is in its last chapter, I know exactly what's going to happen, how it's going to end, etc. but I wrote it in 3rd person omniscient with occasional 3rd person limited for zooming in. If I started the novel in one character's POV (in 3rd person limited), will the novel feel disconnected if I end it in another character's POV or in omniscient?

I'm not quite sure if this matters one way or another, but I just thought I'd put the question out there in case anyone could provide an answer.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think it's a matter of style. I think of examples of both situations your describe. There's an audience for both I think. I might be someone who does not like discontinuity and would go home unsatisfied still looking for some closure while someone else would be entertained and that's it. I think that if you write something you yourself are satisfied with then you'll be able to 'sell' your novel.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't think so, it's really a matter of how you worked it together. If you're able to make it good while switching between that, then it can make sense that you do that. If you can only stay in on POV because you can't switch without making it confusing, then I wouldn't do that. It's just a matter of what your style is. So if you want to do that and you can pull it off, sure, go for it, you have nothing to lose. It's really up to you.

Load Full (0)