bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to write more clearly and with shorter sentences? I struggle with writing an awful lot and would like to improve. One of my main problems (and the reason why writing seems to take me - selfpublishingguru.com

10.06% popularity

I struggle with writing an awful lot and would like to improve. One of my main problems (and the reason why writing seems to take me a very long time) is that I seem to be unable to write in shorter sentences and my sentences become very convoluted. It seems as if I always start writing from the 'end' of a sentence rather than building up to the main point. For example, I am currently writing a report on a scientific experiment I conducted, and I found myself writing the following sentence:

Considering the likely greatest source of error, had there not have been time constraints that made it not possible to take measurements by increasing the thermal emf temperature slightly, allowing the temperature of thermocouple and thermistor system to equilibrate, before increasing the temperature again, it would certainly have been a better idea to use these slow increases in temperature.

It is just very convoluted, not clear, and I don't think it even makes grammatical sense.

I would be grateful to know if there are any techniques one can use, or exercises to do, that would help someone to get in the habit of writing in shorter sentences, writing more clearly, and writing faster. I am grouping these together here because I think they often (though definitely not always) come together as one problem.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Consider writing using "ventilated prose." Separate grammatically coherent units (mental mouthfuls) into their own lines. This helps in a number of ways.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The best way I know of to improve this technique is to study writers who have mastered the technique in question. In your case, it might help to read published papers (ideally on a similar topic) to understand how other writers communicate their findings. Reading is often the best way to hone craft.

In my personal experience, I find that using simple and compound sentences works best to communicate complex ideas effectively, as well as ensuring that I understand the material I am writing about. Often times, when I don't understand the material enough, my writing becomes convoluted in an attempt to mask this deficiency. So, I always ask myself what I want the reader to know. In your case, what about this error is pertinent for the audience? Answer questions like this in bullet form. Then, combine these points effectively into clear sentences. I find that this process isolates the main ideas and gets rid of the "fluff" that simply does not need to be there.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You might find the Hemingway App useful. From the description:

Hemingway App makes your writing bold and clear.
The app highlights long, complex sentences and common errors; if you see a yellow sentence, shorten or split it. If you see a red highlight, your sentence is so dense and complicated that your readers will get lost trying to follow
its meandering, splitting logic.

You paste in your text and it'll guide you make it better by highlighting long or hard-to-read sentences, words with simpler alternatives, adverbs (*), and passive voice. If you clean up all these things, you'll be in a much better place.
(*) Also follow Stephen King's advice on adverbs: kill them all.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I'm going to try giving you some advice, without using a lot of English Major jargon, because even as an English Major myself, jargon confuses me at times.

What I do is write the sentence out. After that, I look to see how many commas I have, and replace each comma, with a period. If it doesn't make sense, add, or remove a few more words until it becomes a shorter sentence.

Load Full (0)