bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How should formula variables be formatted in narration? Say, I mention the following equation in a novel/short story: (Direct Cost / (100 - Desired Profit)) * 100 How should I format that - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Say, I mention the following equation in a novel/short story:

(Direct Cost / (100 - Desired Profit)) * 100

How should I format that in narration? In capital letters? Italics?

First variable to tackle: Direct Cost/direct cost or Direct Material Cost/direct material cost. What
was the raw material of her body?

(...)

At last. Anna had calculated the Direct Cost/direct cost. Now she had to deal with the Desired Profit/desired profit.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

How did your teacher in second grade taught you subtraction?
Your teacher used words. It's as simple as that. You don't write any formulas in there. If you are bent on making it a little mathematically because that's what your character is about, as indicated by your comments, you can easily do that.

(Direct Cost / (100 - Desired Profit)) * 100

becomes

To get a first estimate I have to get an idea of the direct costs involved and my desired profit. There are also some fixed costs that I have to be aware of. This is going to be a bit tricky, but if I subtract my desired profit from the 100$ fixed costs I will have the basis to...

Here we see one problem with your initial approach: I have no idea what you are talking about. The formula doesn't make any sense without any explanation, but using words you can see that my description doesn't make any sense. But this is still a bit awkward and you should probably skip over some of the stuff. Let's try a different approach:

Wait... that doesn't work. Let's see... First I have to define my desired profit, let's say 200$ per night, and my fixed costs, roughly 10$ per night. Now I can find out how many customers I need by looking at the average price in the region and then I - holy crap?! So many?! This is going to be rough...

Load Full (0)