bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How many common conventions exist for inserting sounds made by the author? Is it (*sniff) or (/sniff)? I’m reminiscing nostalgically on a personal blog and I want to insert an onomatopoeic - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Is it (*sniff) or (/sniff)?

I’m reminiscing nostalgically on a personal blog and I want to insert an onomatopoeic sniff.

My days spent raiding dungeons in Hibernia are long over (/sniff) but …

I want the reader to know that I actually audibly sniffed a nostalgic sniff as I wrote that. I know there are no rules. I want to know what common conventions are out there and where they come from. I also feel that I am out of touch with what the younger cool kids are doing these days.

(/sniff) This looks like an “emote” command common in (older?) online RPGs. I used to use this one a lot but refrain these days as the style choice is one only appreciated by a certain subculture of online gamers.
(*sniff) I have seen this style before. I don’t know where it came from but it looks a bit like a comment in computer code.
(sniff) Just putting the onomatopoeia in brackets seems a little unimaginative.

Are there other popularly recognised styles for inserting onomatopoeia out there?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I'd like to add some information in addition to what's answer.

Firstly, it is commonplace to use italics to convey onomatopoeic sounds:

The rock fell down with a crash.

With a deafening whack, the saucepan man was hit over the head by his saucepan.

However, I wouldn't use it for verbs that imply sound.

For example:

The saucepan man grunted.

The saucepan man was cold, and he sniffed every two seconds.

I would advise you not to use things like *sniff or (sniff) because you are writing a blog, and not chatting in an online game :).

Load Full (0)