bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Does age matter if you want to publish a non fiction book? Specifically, with some kind of psychological subject, and some theories and philosophies. The book will have subjects people generally - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Specifically, with some kind of psychological subject, and some theories and philosophies.
The book will have subjects people generally refer to as from people experienced in life, who have been through a lot.

So, when someone who is say 50 years old, I assume people (and specifically publishers) would give it a fair shot and make a judgement on whats in it. This is my assumption, so please correct me if I am wrong.

But what if someone who is say 20 years old, wants to publish a book filled with "life experience" and advice you would suspect from someone older. How would publishers react to this? Would they give it a fair shot, or reject it because of the age of the author?
And would they also publish it like that, or would they prefer a 'older' pseudonym?

So to summarize my question:
Do publishers select manuscripts based on age? And if yes, how, why and with what criteria?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Young people have a lot of unique experiences and insights into aspects of underground culture. Youth-oriented topics always have potential to sell. On the other hand, younger writers write flabbier prose and require more hand-holding.

Publishing companies would definitely take a chance on a book by a younger writer, but they have to factor into it the fact that the author's writing skills may not be fully developed and require editing.

On the other hand, some younger writers have been blogging for several years already and have enough writing practice to write clearly and succinctly.

Speaking for myself, things I wrote in my youthful days were less organized, less focused.

Finally, nowadays publishers are not publishing as many unknowns these days unless the author can demonstrate an ability to publish multiple works for a series. You may need to sell the series concept more than the book itself.

Load Full (0)