bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are the pros/cons of writing in English in a non-English country? I live in a country that doesn't have English as its main language. I have two choices in writing, either write in my - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are separate aspects to this question: writing, publishing and finding success as a writer. The answer would be different depending on which aspect we have in mind.

If the question is only about writing, then I agree with other answers - write in language that you like. If it's not your native language, there are many ways to improve.

If the question is about publishing, then English may not be a good choice for you. If you want to get published in your country, look around and see how many books in English by local authors are already published. Publishing in English-speaking country may be more fruitful, but then it's a whole new topic "How do I find a publisher in different country". You can always spend some money and self-publish and/or e-publish, if you like.

If the question is about finding success with readers, that's probably the most difficult one. First, in my opinion, you should love to write. If you don't love to write in your native language, then don't do it. Second is the quality of writing, and this is where native language normally has a big advantage. Should you go ahead and write in English, make sure you have a test audience that would read your writing and criticize you. Publishing will come third (see the paragraph above). And if all 3 steps are good, then you should find your success!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best